Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Found It!

I’ve been searching for just the right thing to carry all the stuff I want to take when I’m out walking my clients. I’ve tried backpacks, fanny packs (the big hiking kind), and over-the-shoulder bags. Nothing has been quite right. Backpacks don’t work for me, because I need easy access to certain supplies, like poop bags. The fanny pack is too small for everything I want to carry, and everything gets jumbled up in it, making it difficult to get what I need when I need it. I found a shoulder bag put too much strain on my shoulder and I was always adjusting it.

So, I've been on the hunt for something to carry all the above stuff in. I came across a link to a site that sells a dog walking jacket. The jacket looked really nice, but it would be too warm for So Cal and it was $250, which is way more than I am willing to spend.

However, it gave me an idea… a fishing vest. So I went to Big 5 and looked at the vests. I decided to buy one and check it out. The vest I got is lightweight, which will be good during the summer. During cool weather I can wear it over a jacket. It’s machine washable, which is important because it will get muddy paw prints on it. Another plus with the vest, it keeps those muddy paw prints off of my shirts. The vest has 26 pockets, not that I need that many, some with Velcro flaps and others zippered. I was able to get all my stuff in it, distribute the weight and wear it comfortably. It might look dorky, but I don't care! I think it’s going to be the answer to my dog walking needs.

It also serves as an ad hoc Halloween costume, as long as you have a cute dog in a lobster costume too.

You may be wondering what I carry with me on my dog walking tours. The following is a list of the items I like to have with me, and why:

Extra leashes: In case a leash breaks, or for the occasional “stray” dog I find. It's handy to have a leash to attach to their collar, or make into a slip if the aren't wearing one. They're mostly for clients who only have retractable leashes… I don’t use them. Want to know why? See my blog: Retractable Leashes Should Be Banned!

Belt: I attach a couple carabineers to it. It’s a handy way to clip leashes to me when I need to have my hands free. For instance, poop pick-ups are way easier if you can use both hands for the bags.

Carabineers: See above.

Poop Bags: For obvious reasons! LOL!

Bag to put used poop bags in: I clip it to a carabineer attached to the vest. That way, I don’t have to hold bags of poop and leashes in my hands. BTW, I use cloth lunch bag I got from Subway, so I’m not throwing way plastic within plastic, and it's washable.

Treats and Clicker: Because I love to train my clients. Plus having treats to toss at an unleashed, and unhappy dog, can make for a great distraction from my clients.

Direct Stop: A citronella-based dog repellant, it comes in a container like pepper spray. I think it would probably work on people too.

Umbrella: Provides protection from rain, sun, and the occasional scary dog. Sometimes opening an umbrella in a dogs face will frighten it away; but, if that doesn’t work, it can also be used as a visual barrier or even a weapon.

Squeaky Ball: In case we feel the need to play fetch.

Water and Portable water bowl: I always carry water for the dogs and myself, but they’re the only ones who drink from the bowl… LOL!

First Aid Kit: For the dogs and me, so far I’m the only one to use it. Thank God!!

Small towel: Because dogs drool, get wet and dirty.

Giant Carabineer: I sometimes use it to clip leashes together when I’m walking multiple dogs.

Flashlight: Sometimes I have to walk dogs, or enter homes in the dark. I found a really small LED flashlight that provides enough light and fits in one of the smaller pockets.

Keys: For obvious reasons.

ID/Wallet: I don’t want to leave it in my car.

Hat: It keeps the sun out of my face.

Phone: Because I might get lost and need to find myself. Thank God for GPS.

Flip Camera: To record the cute things my clients do. Their parents love to see my videos.

Lip Balm: My lips are always chapped.

Eye Drops: To wash out the dirt the dogs kick up and also my cat’s hair.

Hand sanitizer: Because poop happens and I can’t always wash my hands right away.

Wet wipes: Ditto

Lens Cleaning Wipes: Because dogs are always licking my glasses.

Sunscreen: I’m out in the sun a lot, and I’m my pale skin gets sunburned easily. Also I tend to forget it until I’m actually outside.

Rain slicker: For those rainy days, and it can be used to sit on.

Sweet Tarts: Just because I really love them!

Eureka! I found it!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful idea...anyway you might post a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are any of the pockets large enough for a water bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Anonymous, one would fit in the back.

    ReplyDelete