Thursday, April 29, 2010

Retractable Leashes Should Be Banned!


This morning Jesse and I were walking a couple of our clients, a mini Schnauzer and a Westie. We came around a corner and there was a woman with her Jack Russell closely approaching us. When the JR saw us, he started charging, head jutted forward, all his teeth bared, ears pinned back, face really tight. He wasn’t bothering to bark, he was in total fight mode. Since he was on a flexi lead retractable leash, and his owner wasn’t able to control it, he was able to make it to a couple feet from us before I could back my three dogs away from him. They were in defense mode at that point… so, even though they’re small dogs, it wasn’t all that easy.

Luckily the JR finally hit the end before he got to us, and didn’t yank the handle out of his mom’s hand when he did. He was running at us so hard, when he hit the end he was yanked off his feet and over backwards. OMG, he could have broken his neck or suffered serious neck/throat damage, especially since he was on a choke chain! But he got right up and came back at us.

Meanwhile, the JR’s mom was just standing there screaming, “No, No, No…” Once her dog couldn’t go any further and we were backing away, she told me her dog doesn’t really like other dogs. No! … Really? I never would have guessed.

At that point, my goal was to get my dogs away, so I didn’t waste time talking to her. That’s for the best, at that moment, I would have said, “What the **** are you thinking, walking that **** dog on a flexi lead? He’s **** out of control. You’re a **** idiot! You need to control your **** dog.” OK, I wouldn’t have said that, I would have yelled it.

If I were to ever see her again, there are some things I’d like to calmly talk to her about… I would tell her that she should use a regular leash, instead of the retractable so she has better control of the dog, and so he doesn’t get to practice charging other dogs. I would explain how much damage hitting the end of the lead could do. I would also tell her the choke collar was making her dog even more reactive. How a choke collar can cause serious neck and throat damage, even brain damage. But the choke collar isn’t the topic of this blog. This one is about why I hate retractable leashes.

I admit, in the past, I have used them with my dog, and with client’s dogs. However, I no longer use them period! I’ve had too many negative experiences with them. When I walk dogs of any size, I use standard, size appropriate, six-foot leashes. If my clients only have retractable leads, I provide my own (I do tell them I use my own leashes and why).

From a training point of view, it’s very difficult to teach a dog how to loose leash walk with a retractable lead. Because of the design, there’s never a loose leash, it’s always tight no matter how close the dog is to you. So he doesn’t get to experience what a loose leash feels like. Also, he doesn’t learn where the end of the leash is if it keeps changing all the time.

I don't like the lack of control most people, including myself, have with retractable leashes. It's very easy for the dog to get too far from the handler, especially when the dog is at a full out run. Then it's too difficult to reel them back in quickly. With a regular leash, you can grab it further down and pull the dog back… but then with a regular leash, the dog can only go four to six feet, not 15 - 30. The cable on a retractable lead is so thin, it's hard to get a good grip on it and, if the cable runs through your hand, it can cut you. That cable can be dangerous too. I’ve seen playing dogs get wrapped up in the other dogs leash and nearly choked. I’ve also had my legs cut by them when a dog ran by me and the cable zipped across my skin.

The button used to limit the length, doesn’t always work very well, especially while the dog is really pulling. It gets stuck and won't lock or release, this seems to happen at the worst possible times. Plus, it seems like many people either forget to use the button, or can’t locate it when they it need it. I think the handle is bulky and easily dropped, especially when the dog hits the end of the lead. We were lucky the JR didn’t yank his lead out of his mom’s hand. If you do drop the handle, it often frightens the dog. Then he tries to run away from the scary monster chasing him, maybe into traffic… When walking multiple dogs, they tie up both of your hands. It’s very difficult to hold two of them in one hand, which is sometimes necessary (like when you’re doing poop pick up).

OK, I know many people successfully use retractable leads. They’re just a tool and have their place. However, it’s been my experience that too many people use them incorrectly and/or with the wrong dogs. I’ve seen dogs run out and snap at bicyclists, skateboarders, children, other dogs and cars. If you have a reactive dog, to anything, don’t use a retractable leash, it’s an accident waiting to happen. Then there are those super friendly dogs, who run up to everyone, people and dogs, to say hi. The problem with that is, some people are afraid of or don’t like dogs, and some dogs aren’t friendly. That sweet, friendly dog might not seem that way to the people/dogs they’re running up to.

All in all, I think retractable leashes can be dangerous for dogs, handlers, and the public. And I think they should be banned. Or at least, they should come with lots of big warning labels. Danger: You Will Have Little Or No Control Of A Dog While Using This Leash. Use At Your Own Risk.

1 comment:

  1. Agree completely roma. Retractable leads were the bane of my existence when trying to work with my reactive dog. "My dog is friendly!"... ugh, well sir my dog is not. (while I have to do some power lifting to keep yuki from eating their dog)

    ReplyDelete