Saturday, December 4, 2010

I Love Dogs!!!!

This is for the dog people, like me, out there.

Let’s face it; there are times when dogs can be a pain, and painful too. House training, chewing, digging, nipping, and many other typical puppy/dog behaviors are annoying, and sometimes expensive. But with some good training and management, most dogs learn to do other things instead. We spend a small fortune on food, collars, beds, leashes, toys, training, vet bills, and the list goes on. There’s nothing like stepping, usually barefoot, in dog puke; or waking up to find he’s puking on the bed, right next to you. What dog parent hasn’t returned home, to find their dog had diarrhea… all over the house? When you live with dogs; poop, pee and puke happen in the house sometimes.

Still we love our dogs, and they’re part of our family. We care for, and worry about them, when they get sick. Hopefully, we watch them grow old, and then we mourn them when they eventually pass away. I’ve lived with, loved, and lost several dogs in my life; I’ve cried a thousand tears over them, and I wouldn’t trade having those sweet little souls in my life for anything. They were my friends, companions, confidants, and some of my best teachers.

My dogs have taught me patience, something I didn’t come equipped with a large supply of, and still in the process of learning. They’ve taught me to be more compassionate, understanding, and loving. They even taught me how to be less shy… it’s easier to talk to strangers when they want to meet your dog. Now that I’ve been training and pet sitting, I’ve learned I can talk to people I don’t know, at least as long as we’re talking about dogs, LOL.

Dogs know how to make you feel welcome, wanted, and completely loved. How nice would the world be if everyone we know and love always greeted us with pure joy? When a dog loves you, they invest their whole heart; they are the definition of unconditional love. Dogs don’t care what you look like, how you dress, what kind of car you drive, or how much money you have; they just love you because they do. When your friends and family don’t want to hear it, a dog will patiently listen to all your complaints, tossing in an occasional lick or two. They don’t mind if you cry on their shoulder… head, back, whatever. They’re just happy to be there with and for you, no matter what.

Dogs are comedians. They make me smile and laugh everyday. I love to watch dogs play and to play with dogs! They live in the moment and just have fun. They can turn random things, like sticks and leaves, into great toys, and then spend a lot of time and energy tossing and chasing their new find… not to mention a bit of chewing on the stick. I’ve learned to enjoy the small moments of having pure fun playing and working with dogs. I find after a nice long walk, trip to the park, or training session with Jesse or clients, I’m more relaxed and clear minded.

I believe my life with dogs makes me healthier; I have to get up, go outside, and move around. So I get my exercise and Vitamin D. I know my life with dogs totally makes me happier!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Roma! I am a friend of the Pinnicks' & Jennifer told me about your blog. I have to say that I can totally relate to everything you mentioned in this post. I got my first dog 3 years ago & I honestly don't know what I did before to keep myself so entertained! One look at him & I can't help but giggle. Getting him was the best decision I ever made! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful things about having a dog & the little ways they shape our lives.

    ReplyDelete