Sunday, August 8, 2010

Doing Cody's Sub Q

This is my friend and client, Cody. He's one of the sweetest cats I've ever known, and one of my favorite kitty clients. Cody has kidney problems, so he has to have subcutaneous fluid therapy (aka, sub Q) every other day. Basically thats, inserting a rather large needle under the skin on his back. You lift the skin and make a little "tent" in it, then insert the needle... That's the hardest part of the procedure, for both of us! I try to do it as smoothly and painlessly as possible, but I know it has to hurt anyway. Feeling the needle puncture his skin is always a bit unnerving. The needle is connected, via a tube, to a bag of a water solution. Once you open the valve thing (I'm sure it has a name, but I have no idea what it is), the fluid slowly drips under the skin, providing him with much needed hydration to help flush and support his kidneys.

I've been pet sitting for Cody for about a year, and one of my duties, as his pet nanny, is to do his Sub Q. Before I bring him into the room, I have everything prepared. If necessary, I've already changed the fluid bag... one bag lasts for about four treatments. Most of the time, I just have to check the bag for leaks, attach a fresh needle, and pump up the bag (which helps the fluids flow better). Then I go get Cody. He knows what's going to happen, but he's always so good about it! He doesn't try to run from me, nor does he try to scratch or bite. He's a real trooper!

The video below is an edited version of a sub Q... don't worry, I won't show you the needle being inserted :)


Cody a wonderfully tolerant kitty!! He let's me stick needles in him, but he's still happy to see me. I wonder if I'd be that way, if the shoe were on the other paw! I just love my Cody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment