Sunday, November 21, 2010

When I don’t listen to my ‘Little Voice’ … I regret it!

Intuition:

1. The state of being aware of or knowing something without having to discover or perceive it, or the ability to do this.

2. Something known or believed instinctively, without actual evidence for it.

3. Immediate knowledge of something.

I know it may sound crazy but I have a ‘little voice’ in my head that attempts to guide me. When I choose to ignore it, I usually live to regret it…

I got a call from a new client. Something had come up with Jan’s pet sitter, and she couldn’t stay with the dogs during her upcoming trip. Jan was planning on leaving in four days, but would have to cancel if I couldn’t sit with them. I happened to be free for the three nights she needed me. So, I took pity on her and I said yes… Even though she lives outside of my pet sitting area, and my ‘little voice’ was yelling, “No, don’t do it!” We set up a consultation. Then she mentioned her elderly, but very independent, mother would be there too… My ‘little voice’ was screaming by then.

During our consultation, I learned that one of her dogs wasn’t housetrained. She had to be walked every four hours, or she’d go in the house. Jan wanted me to do overnights, plus three extra visits, to walk the dogs. At that point, I wished I’d listened to my ‘little voice!’ I really didn’t have time, nor did I want to drive that far three times a day. But I had already said I would do the job. We decided I would arrive at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. to walk the dogs (a 30 minute visit). Then return at 6 p.m. and stay overnight. I met Jan’s mother, and Kate was very pleasant, but obviously confused. Jan mentioned she tended to get up about three in the morning, and putter around. But she’s very quiet, and won’t disturb me… Right.

I quickly realized that Kate needed much more care than the dogs. She was able to get around fairly well, but like any 86 year old person, she wasn’t all that sure footed. While she didn’t need help with doing physical things; she was, in my opinion, showing signs of Alzheimer’s. I saw Kate doing many things my mother had done when she started getting ill… Kate would repeatedly ask the same questions, or tell me the same things. She had problems communicating, because she couldn’t remember words, and then she’d get frustrated with herself and me when I didn’t understand. Kate would lose something, and become frantic when she couldn’t find it, often it would be right in front of her.

I could tell Kate wasn’t keen on having me come in just to walk the dogs, and then leave. She wanted/needed me to stay there! Like my mom, she was too proud to say she needed help, and she’s afraid to be alone. When I would tell Kate I had to leave, a look of fear and anxiety would cross her face, as would relief when I returned. I often saw the same expressions on Mom’s face too. In the middle of a task, Kate would forget what she was doing. It was also potentially dangerous; for instance, she could forget she was heating water for tea and start a fire. I also worried she might fall and seriously injure herself. I had visions of coming back to find her writhing in pain on the cold, tile floor. So I ended up spending as much time with Kate as I possibly could, which was considerably more time than I got paid for… But, I did not want anything to happen to Kate on my watch. It also occurred to me that I wasn’t at all sure what my liabilities would be if something did happen. I’m insured for providing pet care, not sure about elderly people.

Like mom, Kate would go to bed early, then get up in the middle of the night and wander around the house for the rest of the night. Kate would come into the room where I was sleeping, and stare at me. When I opened my eyes, she’d ask me a series of questions: Are you warm enough? Do you need another blanket? Do you want something to drink? Are you hungry? A little later, she’d be back doing it all over again.

In so many ways, Kate reminded me of my mother, they looked very much alike. Turns out, like mom, Kate had been a nurse and a very independent woman, especially for their time. Also, like mom, Kate is very spiritual, although in a totally different way. Because she did remind me so much of my beloved and very loving mother, I really liked Kate. However, she also reminded me of the most emotionally painful time in my life, watching my mother slowly and literally lose her mind. I like to remember mom before Alzheimer’s, when she was a vibrant, intelligent, active, and truly independent woman. Being with Kate, dredged up unhappy memories I had pushed out of my mind… like the first time my mom didn’t remember me.

It was such a relief when Jan returned, and the job was over. It was emotionally draining, and exhausting… I’m too old to go three nights without sleeping, LOL.

It was also a lesson to always listen to my “little voice!”

No comments:

Post a Comment