Thursday, February 18, 2010

My First Blog...

This is totally new to me and I’m a little intimidated to publish my thoughts for anyone to read. I’m not a great writer, so don’t expect beautiful prose, but I hope you’ll find some of my stories amusing.

Most of the time my visits with my fur clients are pretty routine, but there are times when weird stuff happens. Like the time I was out walking a couple of my clients…

It was a warm, August evening and we were having a very pleasant walk through their neighborhood. We had gone a few blocks, when we turned a corner and ran into a lot of smoke coming from the back of a house. I mean A LOT of smoke! I seriously thought the house was on fire. The thick smell of wood burning was choking me and it was agitating my dogs and all the others nearby. The neighborhood was aloud with barking and howling.

I was just about to call 911 and report a fire, when I saw some people out in their yard next door. They were hanging out and chatting, like nothing was wrong. I asked them if they’d called 911 about the fire. They laughed and said it wasn’t a fire, they were just barbequing next door, and it happens all the time. I’m still not so sure; I was thinking that it was too much smoke for a simple BBQ. But then a man and his two boys came out of that house to play catch in the front yard. I asked him about the smoke coming from his backyard and he confirmed the neighbor’s story; he was barbequing some steaks and hotdogs.

I’ve lived in So Cal almost my entire life (I won’t say how many years, but it’s more than 40… ha ha), so barbeques are nothing new to me; we BBQ often, and all year long. I’ve been to BBQ’s where we’ve roasted a whole pig, to restaurants with giant smokers, and to huge bonfires at the beach, none of them produced that much smoke. I wondered then, and still do, what kind of fire he had going back there and if it might have been a bit overkill ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment