Monday, February 22, 2010

There’s No Place Like Home

As part of my Pet Sitting business, I often do overnights at my client’s homes. I usually like doing overnights; unless I have an ill or behaviorally challenged fur kid, overnights are an easy gig. I’m there for at least twelve hours, but for most of that time we’re sleeping…

Or not, it takes me awhile to get used to the sounds of every home and neighborhood; the ones my clients sleep through, but Jesse and I hear. So we often don’t sleep well. And even though the bed is very comfortable, it just feels different. However, it is sort of refreshing not to share a bed with my cats. It’s amazing how much space such small creatures can take up. It’s nice to be able to move without: 1. Being growled/hissed at, 2. Having to move a cat, or 3. Not being able to move at all, because all the cats are sleeping right next to me, on top of the blanket and it’s weighted down.

Last night I had one with a couple of really wonderful dogs. I’ve stayed with them a couple times before and we’ve become great friends. They have a lovely home and I enjoy staying there, but it’s just not as comfortable as being at home. I miss having Internet access too, but it gives me a chance to do some writing or read.

When I got home this morning, I could hear Jesse and the cats at the door. It was a cacophony of barks, whines and meows on the other side of the kitchen door. They’re used to me being away, sometimes until late in the evening, but they don’t like it when I’m gone overnight. Jesse is always beside himself with joy when I come home, even if I’ve only been gone a few minutes, but he’s over the top on these mornings. It takes him longer to calm down and take care of morning business. He also has to sniff me all over, and isn’t all that thrilled to smell two other dogs on me. Then he keeps a watchful eye on me, in case I may be planning on leaving again, until he can’t stay awake any longer and takes a long nap. I don’t think he sleeps well when I’m away overnight (I don’t either).

The cats seemed to have really missed me too… they were all over me when I came though the door, meowing and rubbing on me as if saying, “Where were you all night, we thought you weren’t ever coming home again. By the way, where’s breakfast? Oh yeah, and the potty boxes need to be cleaned out too.” It’s nice to be home and to have been missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment