Thursday, April 15, 2010

POP … ZZZZT Lights Out!!!

Part of being a Pet Sitter is not only dealing with animal issues, it’s also dealing with house issues too. One of the advantages of having a pet sitter come into your house to take care of your animals is that you also have someone to take care of little household things too. In addition to caring for the animals, I often water plants/yards, take out and bring in the garbage, bring in the mail, sign for packages, rotate lights, retrieve the occasional newspaper, etc.

One of my biggest goals, and second only to providing the best pet care possible, is to give my human clients the comfort and assurance that their beloved fur kids and home are safe and sound while they’re away. Most of the time my household duties are pretty simple and matter of fact. I send my clients a daily pet report, via email, each day describing what happened while I was with their pets and at their homes, and try not to bother them with phone calls unless absolutely necessary.

However there are those little household emergencies that pop up occasionally, that makes me think, “OK, now what do I do?” On Monday morning one of them happened…

When I got up at my clients house after an overnight, it was a dark and rainy morning, so I turned on some lights around the house. Then the dogs and I did our usual morning routine. I had the TV on for weather and traffic reports, and noise too. When it was about time for me to leave, I turned off a lamp I’d just turned on that morning. The light did go out, with a small flash, and I heard a POP … ZZZZT! And then the TV and lights all went off. So I went out to the breaker box and checked to see if one had tripped. One had, but it wouldn’t go back on again. I tried several times and it wouldn’t work. Silly me, I didn’t think to unplug the lamp that caused the problem in the first place. So I decided I should call my client and let her know. She called her landlord, who went over with an electrician to check it out. Turns out it was the lamp, when it was unplugged everything worked fine. Now I know ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment