Monday, August 16, 2010

Making Jesse’s Map

When we started our website, one of the pages we created was “Jesse’s Page.” Jesse wanted his own page, so he could tell pets and people about the places he likes to go. Like Jesse's facebook fan page, he dictates it, and I do the typing. Over time we’ve added several of Jesse’s favorite places to eat, shop, play, and just hang out.

One day, I was looking for directions on Google maps, and I noticed you could create your own maps. I had a “light bulb” moment, I could make a map of our pet nanny service area for the website. It took awhile, but I finally got a map I like; it’s really nothing special, but it serves the purpose. I went back to working on my website… and Jesse’s Page. That’s when it hit me; we could make of map of Jesse’s favorite places for his page. I ran it by him, and Jesse thought it was a great idea too.

At first we used the ‘bubble’ that appears when you select a location marker. We found the location of each place and planted the marker there; we added the address, and contact info to make it easy for pets and their people to get directions. Jesse also insisted on writing a little “review” of each location. According to Jesse, “i’m still not finished with my reviews, but its something 2 go online with… 4 now.”

I thought we were finished, but then Jesse noticed there were other icons. He decided to use icons to symbolize different kinds of his favorite places. Using ‘dog logic,’ he insisted on using different icons for some of the same types of places. So a cutlery and a burger/drink icon are used for restaurants. We had a long discussion about this; I wanted to use one icon. Jesse wanted to use the burger for places that only do breakfast/lunch, and the fork/knife for places that also serve dinner. The argument was settled with him saying, “it’s my map n i want 2 do it my way.” He used a picnic table for off leash dog parks, “cause most people just sit and watch their dogs.” For parks were we hike, he used hikers. Jesse was annoyed, “there’s no dog walkin a human, that stinks.” He used a basket for parks were we picnic. For his favorite stores, we used a dollar sign, “cause that’s were u spend money.” Apparently you can make your own icons, but I haven’t had time to figure that out yet. I’ll have to… Jesse keeps nagging me about it.

It’s been fun making the map. Not that we’re finished, we keep thinking of and finding more places to add. It’s going to be a never-ending project. For instance, yesterday we went to the dog wash, which isn’t one of Jesse’s favorites. I want to add dog washes, but Jesse says, “no way! i hate baths, they r not my favorite.” We’ll see if I can talk him into it…

No comments:

Post a Comment